(Paper Back) Published October 1st 2005 by Ten Speed Press
Mycelium Running has chapters on nutrition, medicinal properties, log and stump culture, natural culture, using easy to use and low-tech techniques, and much more. In total, 28 species are fully described. Heavily referenced and beautifully illustrated, this book is destined to be a classic reference for generations to come.
This book is a manual for the mycological rescue of the planet and the mycorestoration revolution, Mycelium Running unveils new methods for growing mushrooms, generating mycelium, and implanting mushroom colonies into the environment. Capitalizing on the digestive power of mycelium.
This book illustrates how to strengthen sustainability of habitats while providing a multitude of biological benefits. Based upon the premise that habitats and humans (animals) have immune systems, and that mushrooms are the beneficial bridges for both, Mycelium Running marks the dawn of a new era to use the mycelial membranes for ecological health.
With linking mushroom cultivation, permaculture, ecoforestry, bioremediation and soil enhancement, the author makes the case that mushroom farms can be reinvented as healing arts centers, steering ecological evolution for the benefit of humans living in harmony with its inhabitants.
There are Four components of mycorestoration are described in details:
- Mycofiltration: the filtration of biological and chemical pathogens as well as controlling erosion
- Mycoforestry and mycogardening: the use of mycelium for companion cultivation for the benefit and protection of plants.
- Mycoremediation: the use of mycelium for decomposing toxic wastes and pollutants.
- Mycopesticides: the use of mycelium for attracting and controlling insect populations.
This newly updated version contains more pages, more full-color photos, and new information on a wide variety of mycological topics, including the following:
- Prototaxites, a giant fungus dotting the landscapes of Earth and was the tallest organism on land 420 million years ago
- The role of oxalic acid and calcium oxalates in sequestering carbon dioxide and building the carbon bank
- Psathyrella aquatica nom. prov., the first underwater mushroom
- How Gamma radiation fueling the metabolism of fungi analogous to light energizing plants
- New detailed information on antimicrobial properties of mushrooms
ISBN 10: 1580085792
ISBN 13: 978-1580085793
Publisher: Ten Speed Press
Pub date: October 1st 2005
Number of pages: 356 Pages
Dimensions: 23 x 20 x 3 cm
There are no reviews yet.